Some people post everything on Instagram, and they post at least a dozen pictures every day describing their daily activities. Today we will discuss people who love privacy, who likes to keep their account on a low profile. We will be discussing today how to hide followers & the following lists on Instagram.
With over one billion active users worldwide, Instagram has become one of the fastest-growing social networks of all time. Now owned by Facebook, Instagram provides a unique experience to its users by focusing especially on pictures and short video clips. If you post the right content, gaining thousands, even millions of followers on Instagram, could be done within a short time.
How to Hide My Followers & Following List on Instagram 2020
So let’s dive into the topic, Can you actually hide followers and following list on Instagram? Well, the short answer is NO!. There is no actual feature to do that thing. In Facebook, of course, you can hide your friends list so even your friends cannot see it, but in Instagram, both your followers list and the following list will be visible to your followers so it’s not 100% possible to hide your followers and following lists from everyone, but you can limit who sees it. Below are the ways to do it.
1. Making your profile a private profile.
You can make your Instagram profile set to ‘private’, so If someone needs to follow you, they will need to send you a ‘follow request.’ Until you accept it, they cannot see any of your posts, followers list, or following list. They can only see the number of posts you have posted, the number of followers you have and the number of people you follow. But after you accept the request, they can see all. So make sure you accept only the people you want to share.
1. First, open your Instagram app and log in.
2. Now go to your profile. ( tap the small circle with your picture on the right bottom corner).
3. Once in the profile click on the three dashed lines on the right top of the screen to open the menu and click Settings on the bottom.
4. Click on ‘Privacy’ (lock icon ) and you will go to Privacy settings.
5. You will see an option as ‘Private Account‘ enable it and your account will be private.
Now when you get a follow request they will be shown in your notifications panel, so you can check their profile and accept it if you like.
Now you can go through your followers list and remove unwanted followers so they cannot see your profile.
2. Removing Unwanted Instagram Followers
You can remove your followers anytime and they will be not notified that they are removed from your profile. Once you made your profile private it is necessary to go through your followers list and remove unwanted people. Otherwise, there still may be people who you want to hide your information from.
- Go to your profile.
- You will see the number of followers you have, tap on it and it will open two tabs.
- One tab is followers and the other tab is following; click on the “followers tab“.
- In front of each account, you can see a ‘remove‘ button. Click on it to remove the user, and you will be prompted to confirm your decision and select yes.
Once removed, these users will have to request to follow you if they want to. And you can decide if you want to accept them or not.
3. Account Restriction and Blocking
There might be times you meet someone extremely annoying or cautious on Instagram. So you might want to limit their access to your account. Instagram offers account restriction and blocking options which are slightly different from each other but they do a great job.
This is a kind of ‘limiting access‘ to your account for a certain user. When restricted this user can still follow you, like and comment in your posts and send you messages. When they comment on your posts they will be only visible to them until you approve them for other users. And when they send you a message they won’t be able to know if you’ve read it.
- Go to the account you want to restrict.
- Click on the three dots on the top right to open the menu.
- Click on restrict.
A message will appear saying that account is restricted.
If you want to remove restrictions.
- Go to your profile
- Open settings (as we mentioned before)
- Click on privacy
- Under ‘connections’ you will see ‘Restricted accounts’
- Click on it and you can see the restricted accounts, click on ‘Unrestrict’ and restrictions will be removed.
While you are in the restricted accounts list, you can add accounts to the restriction list. To do that simply type the account name on the search bar and when the account you want to restrict appears, click on the ‘restrict’ button. Then you will see it has been added to the restricted accounts list.
Account blocking will block any user from accessing your account completely. This is a good way to keep yourself from harmful and annoying accounts.
- Go to the account you want to block
- Then click on the three dots on the right top corner of the screen.
- Click on block account.
If you want to unblock any account, you can go to settings then to privacy settings. You will see the ‘blocked accounts’ tab and click on it to access the blocked account list. From there you can unblock anyone.
Conclusion | Hide Following list & Followers on Instagram
Instagram is a platform where everything is meant to be shown and shared. There is even a separate explore tab which you can browse to see content that matches your interests. So when you use Instagram be aware of what you are sharing and posting. Always keep your account private and approve the people you can trust to avoid unnecessary trouble.