Bluetooth enables iPhones to connect with other devices and other iPhones. If you want to connect an accessory or just to transfer small files between two devices, Bluetooth is the best option. When you try to connect your iPhone to another phone or device, you can see a name to which the device is uniquely identified. Today we discuss how to change the Bluetooth name on iPhone.
Each iPhone has two connectivity technologies, Bluetooth and wi-fi. With these technologies, you can connect to other devices and phones and share files or use accessories devices such as Bluetooth speakers or headsets. When you try to connect your phone with another device, the other device identifies your phone by a name, which is the device name of your phone. Usually, the device name is ‘user name’ + ‘s iPhone. As an example, if the user name is ‘John’ the Bluetooth name would be ‘John’s iPhone’. This is okay if there are only two phones when trying to connect, the sender and the receiver. But if you are in a shopping mall or somewhere public, there could be multiple ‘John’s iPhones’ which makes it harder to find which one is exactly yours. That’s why it is good to change your device name to something specific and unique.
Changing the device name can be done anytime and it is not that much hard. We will describe the steps to how to change the Bluetooth name on iPhone. But keep in mind that these steps might change slightly depending on your device and your iOS version.
How to Change Bluetooth name on iPhone.
These steps are followed on an iPhone 6 plus device that runs iOS 9. These steps will be the exact steps you should follow if your iPhone is running on iOS 7 or higher.
Note that when you change the device name in iPhone it will be identified in the same name in other networks too. As an example, the same name is used to identify your device in a wi-fi network or a wi-fi hotspot set by your iPhone.
- First, go to settings.
- Go to the general option.
- Click on about
- Now you can see the ‘name’ option. You should see a name such as ‘John’s iPhone’
- Go to the name option. Clear the existing name by clicking the small x button on the name bar.
- Enter the new name you want to add. Click on done to save the name.
Now your iPhone name will be changed to the new device name.
How to change Bluetooth name on iPad
Since the iPhone and iPad are running similar OS versions the above-mentioned steps work for the iPad too. Even in the latest iPod versions, you can change the Bluetooth name by following the same steps mentioned in this article.
How to change the name of another device connected to the iPhone
If you are connected to a device such as a Bluetooth speaker or a headset, you can change the name of that device. This is not always possible but on some devices, you can do this using your iPhone. If you want to try it, try the following steps to do so.
- Turn on the Bluetooth of the device and connect it to the iPhone.
- You can only rename the device after you have paired your iPhone with the device.
- Open settings on iPhone.
- Find Bluetooth settings.
- There will be a list of devices that are previously connected to the iPhone. You will see the connected device name also there and you will see the word ‘connected’ under it.
- Click on the icon that has ‘I’ on it
- Tap on the name and you will change the name of that device.
After renaming the device it will be identified in that name for all the devices that are connected with it. If the renaming option is not available it means you cannot rename the device since the manufacturer of that device does not allow it.
Remove a paired Bluetooth connection in iPhone.
If you have paired a lot of Bluetooth devices with your iPhone, it is hard to find the device you want in your list. This could be a real headache when you want to connect to a device by tapping the device name on your phone. So to avoid this trouble you can delete the devices from the list which you do not use often. When you want to connect the device to an iPhone again all you have to do is to pair it again with your iPhone. Follow the steps given below to forget a Bluetooth device that is connected to your iPhone.
Same as the previous case, these steps could be applied to the iPad also.
- First, turn on Bluetooth on your device.
- Go to settings
- Go to Bluetooth settings
- Now under ‘Devices’, You can see the list of devices that are previously connected with your device.
- Click on the blue ‘I’ icon to open settings.
- Tap on forget this device to forget the device.
Once you removed or ‘Forgot’ a certain Bluetooth device from your iPhone you will have to pair it again to connect it to the iPhone when you connect the device to the iPhone for the first time.
Pairing Bluetooth accessory to your iPhone.
If you want to pair a device with your iPhone you should first turn on Bluetooth in both your iPhone and the device. And make sure that either of the devices is not connected with any other device. After checking these two things you can continue.
- Go to settings and open Bluetooth settings.
- Now your iPhone will search for available Bluetooth devices in the range. Make sure that both devices are within range of each other.
- Once discovered the device name will appear on the list of devices.
- Tap on the device name to connect, you will be asked to enter a passkey sometimes which should come with the documentation of the accessory.
- After pairing you will see the word ‘Connected’ in front of the device name. Then you are ready to use the device.